Writing good resume cover letters is something you should seriously consider when preparing to send off your resume to potential employers. Get this right and you’re streets ahead of your competition.
Here are seven important resume cover letters writing tips:
- Address the individual by name. If you don’t know their name then use: “Dear Sir or Madam” or “Dear Human Resources Director”.
- Attract attention with a strong opening paragraph. Create impact. Give them a reason to keep reading about you.
- Refer to your enclosed resume. Be specific in describing your skills, experience and accomplishments. Use actual examples of things you’ve done.
- Let the employer know what you can do for them. What can you bring to their organization?
- Keep the letter’s tone of voice positive and professional. Be persuasive but don’t come off like a cheap used car salesman. Remember to ask for the interview!
- Double check your spelling, grammar and sentence structure. Have someone you trust proof-read the letter.
- Sign your letter and keep a copy for your files.
Make Your Resume Stand Out from the Crowd
Demonstrate you know something about who the employer is and what they do. If you don’t know anything about the company, find out what products or services the company offers, their competitors; any recent or upcoming changes.
Employers will be impressed with your knowledge, especially if their company services a speciality niche that isn’t well known.
Do not discuss salary requirements in resume cover letters. If the job posting requests that you respond with salary information, simply state in your cover letter “I would be pleased to discuss my salary history in an interview.” Then quickly move on to what you can offer them in terms of your talent and skills.
Writing strong resume cover letters will help you (and your resume) stand out from the crowd. Ideally, your cover letter will give employers a reason to pick up the phone or send an email and invite you to that all-important job interview. Learn more about writing good resume cover letters.
Once you’re there you can impress them with your skills, experience and personality. Try some free personality tests to help you with your interview preparation.